Indian agricultural research has contributed immensely to increasing agricultural production and productivity. The country has one of the largest Public Agricultural Research Establishments in the world. With the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) at the top, we have 30 State Agriculture Universities, 46 Institutes including 4 Deemed Universities, 4 National Bureau, 9 Project Directorates, 31 National Research Centres, 158 Regional Stations and 80 All India Coordinated Research Projects.
In this article, we discuss the top 10 agricultural research journals, Indian and international combined.
Top 10 agricultural journals discussed-
- Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences: This journal publishes papers concerned with the advancement of agriculture in India and the world. Original scientific work is published in the journal with the purpose to have it applied in the agricultural sector for better productivity and use of resources.
A few specific topics of interest include genetic resources, crop production, decision support systems, statistical analysis, etc.
Indian journal of agricultural sciences is an Agriculture and Agricultural Research Journal and published by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The Journal has been published since 1931.
- Journal of Agricultural Economics: Published on behalf of the Agricultural Economics Society, the Journal of Agricultural Economics is an international professional journal, providing a forum for research into agricultural economics and related disciplines such as statistics, politics, history and sociology, and, their practical applications in the field.
The journal of agricultural economics is published by Wiley. The Journal has been published since 1928.
- Agriculture and Human Values is the journal of the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society. Unlike some journal’s working within the boundaries set, this journal is known for being like its society, to belong to an open and free value structure that discusses the values that shape agriculture as a whole.
It mainly focuses on the values and conflicts in the contemporary agricultural system and the impact of research on the ground level of the food-producing structure.
Agriculture and human values is published by Springer. The Journal has been published since 1984.
- Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences – JEBAS is an open-access journal that provides a suitable platform to the researcher for rapid publication of articles in all aspects of biology, agricultural sciences and veterinary science.
The journal’s main focus remains biological sciences.
Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences is published by Horizon Publisher India. The Journal has been published since 2013.
- The Indian Journal of Agricultural Research (IJAR) is a bi-monthly journal. The overall aim of the journal is to promote the professional development of its readers, researchers and scientists around the world. It mainly focuses on plant and soil science.
Indian Journal of Agricultural Research is published by Agriculture Research Communication Centre.
The Journal has been published since 1966.
- Frontiers of Agriculture in China is jointly published by Higher Education Press and Springer.
It is an international journal that publishes original articles on theoretical and applied research in all main aspects of agriculture, such as crop science, horticulture, plant protection, agricultural resources and utilization, animal science, veterinary medicine, aquatic science, food science and engineering, and forestry.
Frontiers of Agriculture in China is published by Springer. The Journal has been published since 2007.
- The Open Agriculture Journal is an Open Access online journal, which publishes research articles, reviews/mini-reviews and, letters in all areas of agricultural science.
Agricultural biotechnology is one of their main areas of focus.
The scope of the journal includes but is not limited to:
- Crop protection and Cultivation
- Animal Science and Aquaculture
- Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Development
- Environmental implications of agricultural land
The Open Agriculture Journal is published by Bentham Open. The Journal has been published since 2007.
- The Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development (AJAD), an international refereed journal first published in 2004, provides information and analysis on topics within the broad scope of agriculture and development.
It publishes articles resulting from empirical, policy-oriented, or institutional development studies, as well as articles of perspectives on agriculture and development; political economy of rural development; and trade issues.
Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development is published by Southeast Asian Regional Centre for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture. The Journal has been published since 2004.
- International journal of agriculture innovations and research – IJAIR is an international academic online journal. That aims to promote agricultural research. The focus is to publish quality papers on state-of-the-art of Agriculture.
International journal of agriculture innovations and research is published by Timeline Publication Pvt Ltd. The Journal has been published since 2012.
- Australian Systematic Botany is an international journal devoted to the systematics, taxonomy, and related aspects of biogeography and evolution of all algae, fungi and plants, including fossils.
Australian Systematic Botany is published by CSIRO Publishing. The Journal has been published since 1988.
A systematic growth of knowledge is a very important pre-requisite for the economic development in any field. This process is called scientific temper.
When the goal is economic development, the first step must be to promote scientific temper in the same. Our country’s R&D has been improving by day but the growth and focus must remain constant.